Canada is usually overlooked in favour of its neighbour to the south and the UK, Canada nevertheless remains a popular destination for students planning on studying internationally—and for good reason! Canada has ranked as one of the top ten places to live in the world for over twenty years, and the education system in Canada is among the best.

In fact, Canada is an increasingly popular option for students who want the quality of a North American education at a less expensive cost than they might find in the US. Canadian universities bear more similarity to UK universities than they do to schools in the US.

Canadians place a great amount of importance on learning, and standards in education in Canada are uniformly high. There are almost 100 universities in Canada, five of which—the University of Toronto, McGill University, University of British Columbia, Université de Montréal, and University of Alberta—are ranked among the top 100 in the world.

Can my spouse be granted work permit while I study?

Your spouse or common-law partner may apply for an open work permit if you:

  • are a full-time student at a:
    • public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • private college-level school in Quebec or
    • Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorate degree) and
  • have a valid study permit.

How long is the open work permit valid for?

The work permit for your spouse or common-law partner is valid for the same period of time as your study permit.

How to apply

There are two ways you can apply for a spouse or common-law partner work permit:

Apply online

To apply online you must have:

  • access to a scanner or digital camera to make electronic copies of your documents for uploading and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Cost of Living in Canada

Cost of living simply means the amount of money a student needs to take care of his/her expenses like feeding, accommodation, transportation etc. In Canada, it is very affordable due to its low-cost when compared to places like Australia, USA or UK.

That said, it can be estimated as $600 to $800 a month for a student’s living expenses. This amount will take care of his/her feeding, buying of books, stationery, transportation etc.

Breakdown of the cost of living in Canada for students:

  • Accommodation (bedroom apartment) – $400 approximately per month.
  • Books and supplies – $1000 per year
  • Movies – $8.50 – $13
  • Average restaurant meal – $10 – $25 per person
  • Groceries – $150 – $200 per month

A student can spend more or less. This list is just an estimate.

Why choose ACIES GLOBAL to help you?

Study for your Masters or Phd without IELTS, TOEFL, GRE or GMAT. Yes, you study in Canada without IELTS, TOEFL, GRE or GMAT. You don`t have to write any of the mentioned exams to be considered for admission in our partner universities in Canada.

Low Tuition Fees. You don`t have to break the bank to study abroad. Talk to our expert consultants about your budget and proposed course of study and you would be advised of highly reputable universities with low tuition that match your budget.

Work and Study Plan\. You can actually work and study in Canada withput hassle.

Graduate Assistantship Opportunities. This can help you to offset your tuition and living expenses without stress). We show you the way.

Work after Graduation-3 Years Stay-Back Plan. We provide consultancy on how to secure permanent residence after graduation.

Documentation Assistance. Our professional Canadian educational consultants provide documentation assistance for our clients. So, you need not worry. Just relax.